In Google Analytics, click Admin.
In the Account column, make sure that your desired account is selected. (If you only have one Google Analytics account, it will already be selected.)
In the Property column, select the Universal Analytics property that currently collects data for your website.
In the Property column, click GA4 Setup Assistant. It is the first option in the Property column (directly above "Property Settings", which is second.)
Click Get started under "I want to create a new Google Analytics 4 property".
If your site uses the gtag.js, tag, you have the option to Enable data collection using your existing tags. However, if you use a website builder/CMS (e.g. GoDaddy, etc), Google Tag Manager, or your website is tagged with analytics.js, the wizard can't reuse your existing tagging and you'll need to add the tag yourself (instructions).
Note for advanced users: If you've implemented any custom tags for your Universal Analytics property, Enable data collection using your existing tags won’t replicate the functionality for your Google Analytics 4 property. Learn more.
Click Create Property.
Once you click Create Property, the setup wizard:
- Create your new Google Analytics 4 property
- Copies the property name, website URL, timezone, and currency settings from your Universal Analytics property
- Create a connected site tag between your Universal Analytics and Google Analytics 4 properties (if your site is tagged with gtag.js and you elected to Enable data collection using your existing tags in step 6, above)
- Create a connection between your Universal Analytics and Google Analytics 4 properties. This connection makes it possible for you to use Setup Assistant in your Google Analytics 4 property to migrate configurations from your Universal Analytics property to your Google Analytics 4 property.
- Activates enhanced measurement in your Google Analytics 4 property
Once this process is complete, you will see "You have successfully connected your properties" at the top of your Google Analytics 4 Property Setup Assistant page. Click See your GA4 property to be taken to Setup Assistant in your new Google Analytics 4 property.
If the GA4 Setup Assistant wizard provided the option to "Enable data collection using your existing tagging" (and you left this option selected), your new Google Analytics 4 property should now be collecting data.
Note: It can take up to 30 minutes for data to begin appearing in your new Google Analytics 4 property.
Updated 3 months ago